Volunteer Counselor Sign Up
While being a volunteer counselor involves a major commitment, it is also incredibly rewarding. This is valuable training and experience for anyone, regardless of career path or stage of your life. You will learn basic listening and counseling skills that will be useful in your personal and professional life. HQCC is a great opportunity to work with a group of caring people who want to make a difference by providing direct, meaningful service to people who turn to us for help. We offer a thorough training program, so no previous training or experience is needed.
Many of our volunteers enter training wondering if they can really do this. You absolutely can! We'll give you everything you need to be successful and guide you through. You'll observe the call room every week, practice role plays galore, and you'll have a shift partner to help guide you.
The skills you learn in training will be with you for the rest of your life. Headquarters Volunteer Counselors are recognized throughout the community for the incredible skills they learn here.
How to get started:
- Fill out the form below and we'll email or call you before our next info session.
- Come to the next info session. Info sessions are held 3 times a year before each training session. They only last about 30 minutes. We'll discuss the training process and you'll get to ask any questions you might have about the commitment of becoming a counselor and the training itself. Times and dates for the next volunteer info session are one page back on the Get Involved page
- Fill out an application. You'll have an opportunity to take an application with you at the info session. We want to ensure that we're a good fit for one another. Not everyone who applies will be accepted into training.
- Come in for an interview. If your application is accepted, you'll be invited in to interview with some of our existing volunteer counselors. Don't worry--It's very informal.
- Come to training! The training schedule varies slightly from class-to-class, but we'll cover that in the info session.